Kuon-ji ［久遠寺］: The head temple of the Nichiren school. Originally the Nichiren school was the generic term for all the schools derived from Nichiren’s teachings, but today it is also the name of the school based at Kuon-ji on Mount Minobu in Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan. The temple’s full name is Minobu-san Kuon-ji. It was founded by Nichiren on a site slightly removed from its present location in 1281, the year before his death. Hakiri Sanenaga, who was the steward of the area and one of Nichiren’s followers, built the temple and donated it to Nichiren, who named it Minobu-san Kuon-ji. After Nichiren’s death, however, Hakiri Sanenaga violated Nichiren’s teachings, and in 1289 Nichiren’s successor, Nikkō, left Minobu for the Ueno area. After that, Kuon-ji belonged to the lineage of Nikō, one of the six senior priests designated by Nichiren. In 1474, during the time of the eleventh chief priest, Nitchō, it was moved to its present location. See also five senior priests; Nikō.