Engaku-ji ［円覚寺］: The head temple of the Engaku-ji branch of the Rinzai school of Zen in Kamakura, Japan, built in 1282 by Hōjō Tokimune, the eighth regent of the Kamakura shogunate. The first chief priest was Mugaku Sogen (Chin Wu-hsüeh Tsu-yüan, 1226–1286), a priest from China. In 1283 the temple was designated as an official place of prayer by the shogunate. It is counted as one of the Five Temples of Kamakura. See also Five Temples.